Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My First Tri

Well I thought I would give a small report on my recent triathlon exeperience over the weekend. The race was up at Pineview Resevoir in Ogden canyon. In my craziness I had mom drive me up there early (the race started at 10:30, we showed up at about 7:00) so I could be ready. Luckily I had plenty of time. It was about 37 degrees when we showed up and they had cancelled the swim portion of the race and replaced it with a short 1 mile run. I was dissappointed but later realized I would have likely died of hypothermia, even with a wetsuit.

We started the race at 10:30 and I ran my first mile a little slow but was in 112th place overall. I was pleased with this and got on my bike for the 18 mile bike ride in warmer weather (about 50 degrees). This proved to be my downfall. I have loads of excuses (cheap bike, too cold, etc) to justify the fact that by the end of the 18 miles, my legs were killing me and about 250 people had passed me.

I was determined to make up a little time on the 3.2 mile run to finish the race. My legs did not want to cooperate and I hobbled the 3 miles and finished 274 overall. I guess that's not bad for my first race but I didn't win the $100 for 3rd place in my age division. Oh well.

Here you can see the snow that was falling during parts of the race.










Here is the race to the finish line, Alisa commented on the difficulty of getting a picture where I am not behind the girl, next to the old guy, and barely in front of the big guy. Luckily she got the next picture which is a little better, and my confidence is unshaken despite what you may think.






It was a lot of fun and certainly won't be the last time.

No comments: