Friday, December 21, 2007

Shovels

I learned something last night and today. We had an enormous snow storm. I am extremely grateful for the moisture. I still can’t let mother nature melt the snow on my driveway although Rich’s theory is starting to make some sense. So I was out shoveling last night while it was still snowing. Rich always tells me that it is futile to even start shoveling until the storm is passed. I feel like if I shovel twice, then it’s not as heavy. But the bottom line is: I like to shovel. I suppose I get it from my father. He is known for always having a shovel in his hand. . Fixing a ditch, moving something from one place to another, whatever the project, he would have his trusty shovel with him. Snow shovel or garden shovel I feel at home moving stuff – at the present time that stuff is snow. Last year Rich and I tried to shovel the driveway together. He doesn’t get it. Shoveling is a work of art. Zig, Zags, crosses, curves. The works of art you can make in the snow while shoveling a walk are immeasurable. He kept trying to go in straight lines. Let’s put our shovels together it will go faster. Faster is not the object. Holding the shovel and moving something is the object. The Linton OCD kicks in when shoveling snow. There are also rules. You can’t dump the snow on certain plants. Now I wouldn’t expect anyone else to know which plants I protect, so I think I will continue my work of being the snow mover. Today I found out he took my favorite snow shovel to Valcom. He didn’t know that I had a favorite until I heartily complained. I will await the next storm eagerly as long as I have my favorite shovel.

4 comments:

Camille said...

What a great post Vicki! I am grateful for your shoveling efforts. I always hate snow becuase I am not graceful and have a fear of falling on the slippery stuff. So thank you!

I am looking forward to hearing Rich's theory...

Leanna said...

I faintly recall shoveling your driveway while Adam (and Rich?) tried to get the snow plow attachment and chains on the lawnmower. There must be something in that Fallon water... I enjoy shoveling snow too!

suzanne campbell said...

Me too I love having a drive way and I love shoveling while it is still snowing I don't care if it will just pile up again. I know the reason I love it is there was a time when I didn't know if I would physically ever be able to shovel again. What joy to do all the things I thought I wouldn't be able to. Be safe today and coming home tomorrow love Suzanne

Jamie said...

I hope your shovel returns soon. =) you're funny vicki.

I like raking leaves as well, but you're right, there's just something refreshing about shoveling snow.