Thursday, July 03, 2008

Mt Auburn Cemetery


Mt Auburn Cemetery, June 2008



The Boston Skyline as seen from the cemetery tower.


I love cemeteries. As a kid we used to visit the old mining town cemeteries. I probably complained about going as a kid, but I have since gained a great appreciation of the epitaphs and the loving memories.

I love the beauty that nature provides. As a kid I spent time finding shapes in clouds and at Twin Lakes I collected ( you could collect back then) wildflowers and learned to identify them.

So to have a cemetery and an arboretum together is a double pleasure. The Mt Auburn Cemetery just down the road from Daija's apartment is an established arboretum with acres of headstones. One could spend hours exploring the many paths, ponds and structures. There was a tower that must be set on a hill high enough that when you are at the top you can see the whole Boston skyline. There are so many trees that we had to follow a map to find the tower. I was in awe at the beauty of this cemetery.

There are many things to do in Boston, but I am looking forward to going back to this cemetery. I can only imagine the fall color display that will coincide with the birth of the baby.

Reflections of Boston: While the cemetery was a great experience the best was being with Daija and Jonathan. It is a pleasure to see a young couple still in love. It is comforting to know that my daughter has a wonderful young man to take care of her. They take an older man to church every Sunday. He is just getting back into full activity and has many questions and I can tell they are just right for him. I am convinced that although being "active" in the church is time consuming and sometimes difficult, being active in the "gospel" brings blessings and comfort that far outweigh any of the "busyness" that we sometimes feel. Thanks Daija and Jonathan for being such good hosts and the wonderful time together.

2 comments:

Nana said...

Sounds like a great time you had with the kids! They are so darn cute - and like you said - so in love. What more can a mother ask for?? I can hardly wait to get out there after the baby's born. I'm so glad it will be in beautiful October. Loved the pictures!

Nana said...

I'm sure you know, but that "Nana" is me - Debi:)