Monday, May 12, 2014





Monday, May 12, 2014




Continuous Living Water 
I went to Moab this past weekend to run a relay race with Daija.    I had bought some flowers during the week intending to plant them and ran out of time.  I left them sitting in the shade hoping that the rain that was forecast would keep them alive while I was gone.  I watered them heartily Friday before I left.  Rain was in the forecast for the weekend.  I didn’t have time to worry about them on Saturday because I was running (another post later).  But Saturday evening it started to rain HARD in Moab and I was reminded that my flowers needed water and I started to worry if there had been enough rain in Draper.  And then as if Heavenly Father was helping me learn a very important lesson the thought entered my mind that the vessel that these flowers were in was not big enough to store water.  They not only needed rain, but they needed it daily and on a regular basis.  I wondered.  I realized that prayer and scripture study were the living water for my soul and for a brief moment I felt the intense need of those on a daily basis.   No amount of extra rain would have helped them the next day.  One spiritual experience like Time out for Women is not helpful on a continuous basis unless I take those drops of knowledge and use them daily.  Fervent prayer and scripture study on one day a week in not sufficient.  It helps that day, but I could wilt the next day if I don’t get another dose of spiritual rain. 
The following scriptures remind me that I need Christ’s living water but these flowers remind me that I need them on a daily and regular basis. 
By living the gospel of Jesus Christ, we develop within ourselves a living spring that will quench eternally our thirst for happiness, peace, and everlasting life. The Lord explains clearly in the Doctrine and Covenants that only faithful obedience can tap the well of living water that refreshes and enlivens our souls: “But unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give the mysteries of my kingdom, and the same shall be in him a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life.” 7D&C 63:23 (Joseph B. Wirthlin April 1995)
“But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” 4 John 4:13-14

No comments: