Cache Valley Century August 23, 2014
Rich is doing LOTOJA in two weeks and needs miles. The Cache Valley Century is perfect. I can do 60 miles in the time it takes him to
do 100. Our anniversary is on the 24th
– there is not a better place to be than Logan, Ut where we met over 43 years
ago. The night before was stormy and I
was hesitating about riding. But the
morning turned out beautiful. Cool
enough for long sleeves and a jacket that could be put away if it warmed
up.
I love that ride. I
love the smell of the farmland. It is
fun to see the difference between the crops from Little Red in June to maturity
in August. I love the smell of the
dairies. (odd, I know but it reminds me of my youth).
 |
| Imagine an Arrow far away where there are no trees |
My garmin had said 58 miles and since I thought I was only going
60 – I am excited thinking that I am only 2 miles from the end and then I see a
sign that says 5 miles.
I was bummed to
say the least.
But I really had no
choice.
Then it started to hail.
At first I thought it was rain because I
couldn’t see hail on the road.
How come
this rain hurts so badly?
Those must be
huge drops to hurt like that.
Then I
realized it was hail.
I stopped and put
on my jacket.
I knew it wouldn’t keep me
dry, but at that point I was just hoping to ease the pain.
I have a very low pain tolerance and I know
that.
So be it.
Anyhow as I am looking up the road – there
is not a tree in sight.
That beautiful
farmland that I love so much was now barren of any protection.
I looked for anything that would give me
respite from the hail, but there was nothing.
I even saw a combine and the thought went through my head – could I get
some shelter – but it was too far off the road.
The only choice was to keep riding.
I couldn’t go back – there was no turning around.
I thought I need to ride faster – but I was
afraid of all the water on the road, afraid I might slip.
I slowed down.
I had had a time goal in mind and now I was
missing that and my only thought was to get to the end where I knew there was
shelter from the storm.
When I got to
the end I got in the truck and warmed up a bit, then I waited for Rich –
worried about his ride.
Worried about
the thunder and lightning I saw, worried for his safety.
After my time of self-pity, I could then turn
my attention to someone else and forget my misery for a brief time.
I went back out into the rain to watch and
wait.
What started as a beautiful ride
quickly turned into a torrential storm
It was such a good lesson for me. Many of my friends have serious trials. They are on that barren stretch of land. There is no turning back. What
starts out pleasant turns into pain. There
doesn’t seem to be any shelter within reach.
The only way is to keep going.
Those people are who I think about when I am riding. Those are the ones I think about when I want
to give up. Their journeys are so much
harder than mine, that I think – I can’t give up – so and so wouldn’t. Heavenly Father helps me to understand my
mortal journey. He helps me to see the rainbows of life after the torrential
storm.
No comments:
Post a Comment