Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Book Review

I just finished "A Train to Potevka" by Mike Ramsdell. I loved it. Thanks to Daija for having me buy it. I think that I finally realized how big Russia is. I'm not sure I'd ever thought about it. I related to his remark that he never thought in his lifetime that the Communist government would allow its people to be free. I also never could believe that it would happen. But what about the prophecies that the gospel would be taken to all the world? Yes, but again not in my lifetime. July of 1992, Ashkii and Josh participated in a 3 week folk festival dance tour in France and Spain. I went along as a chaperone. There were dancers and muscians from Poland, Ukraine, Spain, France, Indonesia, and a few other countries. I have a picture of Josh in front of the American flag that I have framed. It reminds me of how thankful I am for my freedom. I remember one evening after rehersals the musicians from the different countries showing each other their instruments. Our banjo player was admiring the instrument from one of the "soviet" countries. They started playing music together. Words can't express the feeling I had that evening as I beheld a prophecy being fulfilled. Not only did it happen in my lifetime, but I witnessed in part the joy that these performers had from their new found freedom.

Flashback: Circa 1988 BYU dance competition. The floor show was a Russian couple. They had their security guards around them all the time, watching and making sure they didn't defect during their performance. Hard to believe that we now have the best dancers representing the US with names like Olga Foraponova and Maxim Kozhevnikov.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I really loved that book, and yes, he did a great job of relating the realities of what Russians live with. I gained a whole new respect.

Daija said...

I'll have to read it over Christmas break. I am reading Uncle Tom's Cabin right now for our ward book club. It's a very powerful book, too.

suzanne campbell said...

I loved that book too. I am amazed at how the Lord takes care of all nations and we mortals are in awe. love suzanne