Dear Family
In one of my school classes I have been asked to explain my operative paradigm for conducting research. The catch is that you all need to understand what I am doing. The following should explain.
I am pursuing a Ph.D. in Business Organization and Management. I have studied many different topics in the last year helping me gain a better understanding of the theoretical and practical sides of business. Most recently I have been enrolled in a management theory creation course. As part of this course I have been challenged with doing research, discovering new knowledge, and then explaining in basic terms what the research means so that anyone who reads the information will understand.
As a first step in that process I wanted to let all of you know what specific topic I am studying and how I will research and present the findings. First, the big picture topic is a multigenerational workforce. In other words, Daija and Mike are Generation Y, Josh and I are in between Generation X and Y depending on which dates are chosen, Mom and Dad are the Baby Boomer generation and Grandpa Lattin is part of the Forgotten/Greatest generation.
All of us remember being harassed by Grandpa Lattin in Nevada working on the farm. He thought we were all lazy. The same paradigm is/was held by Dad and Mom on many occasions. We view ourselves as hard working with different priorities. Part of my research will focus on these different paradigms of work inherent in each generation. Most of the paradigm information will be gathered from historical data and other research. Also, raw data will be gathered via live surveys and census reports. All of this data will be compiled and reported using various statistical techniques like comparative analysis.
The second part of my research will focus on leadership. Different events in history have influenced each generation and how they lead and how they are led. I plan to contribute to the business organization and management field the knowledge that: for a leader to lead effectively in an organization they must use generation specific leadership techniques. This presents a major challenge based on our current societal demographic mix. Take Valcom for example: you have all three generations represented and you had four until Rich G left. One of my beliefs is that failure to recognize and specifically lead based on the generation category disenfranchises young and old workers and will make a predicted shortage in human capital a reality in the near future.
I hope to prove or disprove this theory through research and analysis. I hope this makes sense. Please post questions here on the blog and I will answer/clarify as needed. Thanks
1 comment:
I think it sounds good and makes sense to me. Well done
Post a Comment